Thursday, August 21, 2008

August Events

Hello Fellow Gardeners!

A slight soggy greetings to you - the rain has been pretty unbelievable this month. Of course, my garden seems to be enjoying it and I know that our downtown/Town Hall planters are looking lovely and lush.

We've been getting a lot of compliments on how great our planters look this year. I'd like to thank Eric for working hard with Doug Mason to come up with some great plant mixes and our diligent waterers -- Shirley, Perry, Kris and Ed.

If you haven't taken a slow drive or walk down Main Street, I would recommend it. I've also noticed that some of the shopkeepers have put out plants, making downtown Williamson look very green and colorful.

Eric and I had a wonderful tour of Joyce Leimberger's gardens. As many of our Garden Club members are, she is a passionate gardener with extensive knowledge of daylilies and a keen eye for mixing colors and textures. Her daylilies are unbelievable - so many different colors and textures and different from what we saw at Parker's house. If you're interested in seeing her flowers, I will send you a link to Flickr where some photos are located. I was glad to have my camera with me that morning! Joyce sells her daylilies - if you are interested, she is located at 4466 Lake Road.


For August
1. Members meeting - Tuesday, August 19th at the Williamson Public Library at 7pm. A few items to discuss:
a. Shirley informed me that it looks like the Chinese Restaurant wall is being painted which means that the Green Space will be ready to be planted soon.
b. Elections are going to take place in September. Please consider serving as an officer, even if it's for a partial year. I know many of you head off to warmer weather as it cools off around here but your service for 6-9 months would be beneficial to our organization.
c. Fall plantings - there had been an initial discussion about this so that we don't have dead plants until we put in the Christmas Trees. If our planters continue as they are currently going on, it may not be a problem as we might be able to keep them until October with only a month between plantings. Let's discuss what we would like to do.
d. Coleus over-wintering - we will have some coleus to overwinter. I think our best bet is to divide them up so as to increase the likelihood of some of them surviving. Let's discuss who would be able to take some for the winter.
e. Pultneyville Garage Sale in September

If you have other items to discuss, please let me know and I'll include them in the agenda.

2. Monthly Lecture/Event
I am very excited to announce that Sylvia Bornarth and her husband have opened up their Asian Garden for the Garden Club to walk through and see. They have an amazing garden and the Bornarths are accomplished gardeners.
This is a Garden Club Members-Only tour. If there is anyone who has expressed interest in joining our Club (or becoming a Friend of the Club), please feel free to invite them.

The tour will be Tuesday, August 26th at the Bornarth House at 6:30. Hopefully there will be no need for a rain date!

Happy Gardening!
Subrata

No comments: